Cancer and Radiotherapy
Benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy:
- Corrects tissue hypoxia associated with occlusive endoarteritis burns and radiation injuries
- Demarcate necrotic areas(dead tissue), clearly separating recoverable tissue
- Increases the radio-sensitivity of malignant tumors, improving the response to treatment
- Increases oxygen tension in tumor mass and tissue and helps decrease their size
- Stimulates proliferation of fibroblasts and collagen and ulcer healing
- It reduces the tendency of cancer cells to spread to other organs
- Rehabilitates the role of estrogen receptors in prostate cancer
- Helps to normalize enzyme levels
- It stimulates the immune response
- Stimulates bone metabolism
- Reverse vascular damage
Specific therapeutic applications:
- Endoarteritis tissue hypoxia associated with radiation injury occlusive
- Optic nerve damage in amaurosis by pituitary macroadenoma
- Pain in patients with bone or cartilage necrosis post-radiation
- Osteo-radionecrosis in prostate, pelvis, neck and jaw
- Radiotherapy induced linjuries in bone lesions, soft tissue and mucosal
- Proctitis, Cistitis hemorrágica post-radiación. Proctitis, post-radiation hemorrhagic cystitis.
- Fatiga por anemia y terapia hormonal Fatigue from anemia and hormone therapy
- Metástasis ósea de adenocarcinoma Bone metastasis of adenocarcinoma
- Pelvic inflammatory masses
- Post-radiation myelitis
Since the late seventies, established the beneficial effect of hyperbaric oxygen (HBOT) as adjunctive therapy and mandibular osteoradionecrosis prophylaxis of complications pre-and post-manipulation of bone or soft tissue irradiated, such as in extractions dental or plastic surgery, which has a high failure rate for healing problems.
Currently there are no conventional treatments for radiation necrosis treated successfully, however, HBOT is the only therapy that can achieve high standards of healing and remission in such cases. It can quickly restore optimal levels of oxygen and nutrients to the tissues to recover and stimulates neovascularization and hypoxic neocolagenización irradiated bed. There are now numerous publications that relate excellent results with the application of HBOT on bone lesions not only radiotherapy but also in cystitis, proctitis, colitis, enteritis and vaginitis caused by radiation, as well as laryngeal necrosis, xerostomia, myelitis and other injuries neurological radiotherapy.
It has been shown for instance that hyperbaric oxygen has a remedial action of the function of estrogen receptors in prostate cancer in advanced stages, where the hormone-dependent tumor, becomes hormone-resistant.
The greatest benefits for patients treated with HBOT, are noted in their quality of life, especially in the reduction or disappearance of pain and bone metastases, as well as a noticeable improvement in skin lesions, urinary symptoms, and limitations sometimes motion caused by the disease.