Major benefits of HBO:
- Reduce spasticity and improve muscle strength.
- Increases physical and mental capacity.
- Increased neovascularization and remyelination.
- Improves vision, motor coordination and balance.
- It increases the permeability of the blood-brain barrier
- Increases O2 tension in the spinal fluid
- Promotes axonal regeneration
- It facilitates the absorption of spills and bruises
- Enable recovery of nerve tissue
- Enhance the conductivity of brain and nerve signals
- Neuropathies and neuromuscular disorders
- Vertigo, tinnitus, Meniere `s syndrome
- Demyelinating diseases
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Alzheimer's and dementia
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neonatal Hypoxia
- Cerebral Palsy
- Near Drowning
- Guillán Barre
The use of hyperbaric oxygen (HBOT) therapy in neurological rehabilitation has been widely disseminated around the world, and increasingly showing up investigations and evidence of its benefits and applicability of certain diseases or neurological conditions.
HBOT as an adjunct therapy clinic offers a quick recovery in the rehabilitation of neurological sequelae where hypoxia (oxygen deficiency) and / or cerebral edema (swelling) are predominant factors, especially when used immediately or shortly after the event or accident that resulted, but in medical practice has been observed that even in cases going back several years ago, can receive a significant benefit to the application of this therapy. Hyperbaric oxygenation has been used in this type of injury, mainly due to its significant effects antiedematous antihipóxicos and central nervous system, but also determined to have the ability to reactivate "dormant neurons" found in the area peripheral ischemic penumbra surrounding the area of brain injury.
Another important aspect to consider is the increase of microcirculation and revascularization therapy produces hyperoxygenation thus may lead to new nutrients and oxygen to cells, tissues and organs, even in places where blood flow is poor or blocked, that, by increasing oxygen levels in blood plasma that occur with this therapy, and can not be achieved by any other method.
While HBOT is not a panacea, nor can cure diseases such as cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis or Guillen Barre syndrome (demyelinating diseases), it can provide a significant improvement in quality of life of patients and the typical symptoms of these diseases and neurological conditions. Results may vary from one patient to another, but generally positive results are observed in a few weeks of treatment, this therapy helps reduce spasticity (stiffness), improve balance, coordination and movement ability, decreasing the intensity and expression of psycho-motor sequelae, cognitive and language caused by neurological disease or injury.